Saturday 25 January 2014

Truth is, I finished Exxoneration last weekend. Didn't want to put pressure on you guys.

Still don't.

Anyway, you're sure to catch up and then pass me by because I can't find a copy of Exodus UK, next in the series. What happened to the paperback I bought at Kane's Super Drug Mart in grade eight? I should keep better track of my things.

While I wait, can I ask you both about The Richard Rohmer Omnibus? I'm curious to know just how Exxoneration looks because my McClelland & Stewart first edition ranks amongst the ugliest and sloppiest productions I've seen. Nothing wrong with the cover; a nice, clean commercial design, you might even say it's inspirational.


But the rest is a dog's breakfast filled with poorly laid out maps, diagrams, illustrations. and technical drawings, none of which are particularly helpful. Here's a map of Toronto International Airport, printed without its key:


Chris, you've already mentioned the drawing of the rocket. Don't know what it looks like on an ereader, but I'm betting it's better than this two-page spread:


Poorly laid out? I stand by my words:


And what are we to make of this? A deleted paragraph or just more sloppiness?


When combined with appendices, all help give a 48,000-word novella the appearance of a 213-page novel.

That's right, novella.

What's taking you guys so long?

Fun fact: McClelland & Stewart turned down Ultimatum.

More fun: My copy, purchased in 1998 at a Toronto Goodwill, is signed.


Cost me $1.50.

1 comment:

  1. The drawing of the rocket is the kind of thing I'd put in a book report in grade 8. I know that one of the pleasures of a book like "The Da Vinci Code" is the fantasy that you're learning things, but this ain't that. This is about page count, right?

    ReplyDelete